Legal - Hartford, CT | Roseland, NJVice President Corporate Counsel
About the position
The Prudential Retirement Legal Team is part of the US Business Law Group of Prudential’s Law Department. We are seeking a highly talented, business savvy and experienced lawyer to join the legal team that supports the Retirement Business, including the Full-Service Solutions/Recordkeeping group. This position is located in Hartford, Connecticut or Roseland, New Jersey.
Prudential’s Retirement Business provides investment products and services to defined contribution, defined benefit, and non-qualified plans through two principal areas:
- The Full-Service Solutions group which manufactures market value investment products and provides recordkeeping services for Defined Contribution, Defined Benefit and Non-Qualified Plans; and
- The Investment & Pension Solutions group which provides US pension and international longevity risk transfer solutions to domestic and global Defined Benefit plans and manufactures stable value and other innovative products for Defined Contribution and other plans and institutions.
Approximately four legal professionals provide dedicated support to the Recordkeeping group, which is also supported by other members of the Retirement Law team. Team members are responsible for the delivery of focused, technically sound and pragmatic legal support in connection with Prudential Retirement’s dynamic and highly visible recordkeeping business.
In addition, team members play an integral role in managing highly sophisticated outside counsel, as well as ensuring that the team interfaces effectively with other areas of Prudential’s law department to best leverage the high-value internal resources available.
Candidates must have a law degree, be admitted to the bar in at least one US state and eligible for CT and NJ in-house licensing. The ideal candidate will have at least ten years’ experience providing legal advice in the area of defined contribution, defined benefit and non-qualified plans to both ERISA and Non-ERISA plan recordkeepers or administrators.
Practice skills critical for success include:
- A deep knowledge of ERISA, and the aspects of the Internal Revenue Code that apply to defined contribution and non-qualified retirement plans. Securities and/or insurance law expertise is a plus.
- Negotiating complex contracts governing commercial relationships in a regulated environment, and interfacing with institutional clients in that context.
- Advising on making proprietary investment products available through an affiliated platform, and assisting with managing the attendant business, legal and regulatory risks.
- Working collaboratively with internal clients and control partners to advise on business practices that are likely to withstand regulatory and litigation challenges.
- Comfort advising Retirement Business leaders, and the ability to navigate a matrixed environment.
- Learning new legal disciplines, and the legal and business talent to find practical, risk-adjusted solutions to a business facing an evolving and increasingly challenging regulatory environment.
- An ability to communicate complex legal and business concepts, both in writing and orally, in a clear and thoughtful manner.
- Candidates with demonstrated leadership potential are preferred.
As an adviser to the Full-Service Solutions group, the candidate can expect to quickly develop strong collaboration relationships with key Full-Service Solutions and Retirement Business leaders.
As a member of Prudential Retirement Law, the candidate can expect to practice in an environment that provides significant intellectual challenges and meaningful development opportunities. We are committed to delivering excellence in an atmosphere of engagement, collegiality and inclusion.
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about doing business with Prudential.