Communications/Public Relations - Newark (NJ), NJ Vice President, Technology Communications
About the position
This is a new role supporting the Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer (EVP/CIO) and serving as her primary communications strategist and advisor in articulating the vision for the company’s technology transformation both internally and externally.
He/she will be a member of the EVP/CIO’s leadership team and be responsible for developing a proactive and strategic communications agenda that is aligned with and supports the vision of the EVP/CIO in serving the overall objectives of the company and its leadership.
This role requires a highly savvy and seasoned communications leader who understands and excels within a matrixed, fast paced and highly collaborative environment. With a performance driven orientation, this leader will not only have an exceptional and diverse set of experiences, but strong business acumen, a seasoned and mature point of view, as well as executive presence, drive, and confidence to operate within a dynamic environment.
Their personal philosophy is to focus on the collective, and to view their role as an enabler and facilitator in communicating the technology transformation of the business, as well as serving as a collaborator and partner with other communications leaders across the enterprise.
This new role is equal parts setting strategy, advising leadership, driving execution, and “rolling up the sleeves” to do the work required.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Serving as the chief communications strategist and advisor to the EVP/CIO
- Developing a comprehensive and proactive communications strategy to support the company’s technology transformation across all stakeholders (company leadership as well as other internal and external audiences). This is an enterprise-wide change management strategy that will re-organize and re-align the technology organization to drive business results.
- Creating messaging and content that supports the technology transformation, and is aligned with, all other corporate and business messaging as set by the broader communications organization.
- Designing and implementing thought leadership platforms that will favorably position the company and the EVP/CIO and team around its technology transformation and the related outcomes.
- In coordination with the Prudential Communications team, manage and staff all proactive and reactive media relations opportunities involving the EVP/CIO.
- Working with the Prudential Communications, Marketing, Investor Relations and other related functions to align and sequence content, messaging, channels of distribution, programs, and use of resources in order to best integrate, maximize impact, and leverage corporate resources.
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
Cultural Assimilation: Earn the confidence and trust of the EVP/CIO and her leadership team as a partner who adds value and is trusted and respected for not only their technical competence but their business judgment as well; builds positive and trusting relationships internally; understands and represents the ethos of Prudential and its culture.
Strategic Contribution: Develops a comprehensive and compelling communications strategy for the technology transformation and partners with the Communications leadership team as a collaborator in integrating that strategy with the broader corporate themes, messages, and plans that are aligned with the overarching “change management narrative.”
Leadership: Provides leadership and coaching of junior talent; sets high standards and performance expectations; operates as a player/coach; has a passion for mentoring and growing talent.
The leader will have an exemplary track record of success over the course of their career. In addition, the leader will also have:
- Served as a counselor and advisor to the C-Suite, a political leader, or a high-profile principal and is accustomed to the pace of a fast-growing and high performing global business.
- Track record of success in developing and implementing communications strategies that drive transformation
- Experience within/appetite for an entrepreneurial environment.
- A worldly view; be contemporary and current on a wide range of subjects (business and non-business related).
- Success operating within a global organization; understands and thrives within multi-cultural environments.
In addition, this leader should have:
- Executive presence, a dynamic professional with “low ego,” and the ability to inspire confidence among leaders and all stakeholders with whom he/she will interact.
- Focus on team/not the individual orientation; leads by example and gives credit to others
- Outstanding listening skills; is trusted and respected
- Outstanding judgment, intuition, self-starter/strong initiative, and quick learner.
- Courage of conviction with the ability to defend a point of view with leadership and the inner circle, when circumstances require it.
- Ability to work “high level” (strategy) and “in the weeds” (doing the work)
- A “roll-up-the-sleeves” approach; player/coach mentality in managing and leading.
- Inclusive/sharing style; ability to attract and manage the best resources (internal and external) and delegate in order to maximize impact.
- Business orientation/acumen with excellent strategic thinking skills.
- Thrives within ambiguity; enjoys fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Accustomed to the 24/7 “always on” nature of a global business with operations and staff around the globe.
- High influencing skills; often with minimal authority.
Bachelor’s degree required from a well-respected school. An advanced degree or MBA would be a plus.
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at email@example.com for more information about doing business with Prudential.