Legal - Shelton, CT | Dresher, PA | Roseland, NJ | Hartford, CT | Newark (NJ), NJVice President Corporate Counsel - Annuities Law
About the position
We are seeking an experienced attorney to join the Annuities Law Department. This position will provide counsel and support to Prudential’s Annuities business on variable and fixed annuity product development, maintenance and marketing. This position also will have the opportunity to provide cross-business legal support on product development for the Individual Life Insurance Law Department, and work closely with other US business and corporate legal groups on a variety of strategic and cross-business initiatives.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- Providing legal advice on new Annuities product development initiatives, working closely with business partners in a team environment from product concept to product launch;
- Providing counsel to the Annuities marketing team on the development of advertising, sales and producer training materials, and new and innovative marketing concepts;
- Collaborating regularly with the Annuities Compliance and Risk Management functions in assessing risks;
- Working closely with legal colleagues on issues impacting the Annuities business, as well as other strategic and cross-business initiatives impacting the broader enterprise;
- Representing Prudential in industry committees and groups that evaluate legal issues that impact the Annuities business; and
- Engaging and managing outside counsel, as needed.
We offer a collaborative and collegial work environment, with an enterprise focus on the growth, development and success of talented associates. Members of the Annuities legal team are part of Prudential’s global Law, Compliance, Business Ethics and External Affairs (LCBE) organization.
- Law degree required;
- Admission to the bar of at least one state, and will need to obtain the New Jersey and Connecticut Corporate Counsel licenses if not admitted to the bars in those states;
- At least eight (8) years relevant law firm, regulatory or insurance company law department experience;
- A working knowledge of annuities, including the state insurance and federal securities laws related to those products;
- A working knowledge of annuities operations and related legal and contractual requirements;
- Experience providing legal advice in connection with customer and regulatory inquiries, and interacting with regulators;
- Superior verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with various levels of personnel, including senior management;
- Ability to work well in an environment where collaboration and teamwork with legal, compliance and business associates is a priority.
Competencies Essential to Success:
In addition to the stated qualifications for the position, an ideal candidate should possess the following core competencies:
- High ethical standards;
- Intellectual curiosity, with a strong drive to identify solutions and achieve results;
- Strong work ethic, with an ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Practical problem-solving skills;
- Courage and confidence to speak up, challenge and advocate for a point of view;
- A talent mindset – understands talent to be a strategic differentiator and works toward developing themselves and others;
- An external focus – maintains a strong network of resources in the industry, including peer companies and trade associations, and consistently tracks emerging issues
- An ability to engage in intelligent risk taking – excellent judgment and the ability to comfortably make clear, rational and timely decisions in the best interests of Prudential consistent with available facts and applicable laws and regulations
- Strong customer-service mindset; and
- Flexibility to adapt to rapidly changing needs of business partners and the broader enterprise.
- Some travel to other offices may be required
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at email@example.com for more information about doing business with Prudential.