About the position
The scope of responsibility for the Strategic Initiatives group is expanding and Prudential is seeking a highly talented strategy executive to lead this new area of responsibility.
The Strategic Initiatives group has three main areas of responsibility: driving Prudential’s cross-business thought leadership initiative; supporting strategy development within and across U.S. businesses through the NextGen strategy team, including exploring new market opportunities; and providing support to the COO of the U.S. business and the Chairman and CEO of Prudential (primarily developing presentations for key initiatives and external audiences, including the Board of Directors).
While each member of the Strategic Initiatives group may be called upon to support any of these three areas of responsibility, the new Vice President, Strategic Initiatives will primarily be responsible for leading Prudential’s cross-business strategy development and pursuit of transformational growth opportunities across five institutional and retail businesses.
The Vice President will be required to work closely with all members of the Strategic Initiatives group, as well as collaborate with the heads of strategy and other senior leaders of the U.S. businesses and Corporate Functions. Certain projects will involve collaborating with industry or academic experts outside of the firm.
- Act as the primary owner for strategy development efforts that span multiple U.S. businesses. Structure strategy projects and lead execution of these projects in collaboration with senior leaders across the U.S. businesses. The audience for these projects will typically include the Heads of the U.S. businesses and/or the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer for the U.S. businesses.
- Work closely with the Head of the NextGen Strategy team and the Head of Strategic Initiatives group, and partner with business heads and other key executives, to identify new growth opportunities.
- Work with the heads of strategy for each of the U.S. businesses with respect to identifying partnerships and acquisitions to further enable U.S. strategy and to manage the annual planning process to identify and prioritize cross-business strategic issues.
- Engage the senior leadership team in a strategic dialogue regarding business opportunities, including marketing, product and distribution. Be a trusted advisor to senior management and a key contributor to the growth and development of the U.S. businesses.
- Partner with and manage relationships with external academics and/or research firms to conduct research efforts and analytical support for strategy development.
- Work closely with the Head of Strategic Initiatives and a peer to oversee the Strategic Initiatives group, including talent management and priority setting.
- Manage one or two NextGen Strategy team members.
The successful candidate will have significant experience working in strategic planning, marketing, or research functions, or equivalent experience at a strategy consulting firm.
Five or more years’ of industry experience or equivalent experience as a project leader or above within a strategy consulting firm.
Five or more years’ experience in strategic planning, marketing, research, or other relevant function.
Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to multi-task across projects and topics.
An M.B.A. or other advanced degree is strongly preferred.
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES
Collaborating and Influencing
Invites and uses the opinions and perspectives of others.
Engages people in a dialogue to gain commitment and bring them "on board", linking their perspective to the intent.
Adapts own approach to the audience, anticipating impact of words and actions, preparing for possible resistance and responding in an appropriate style, using a range of influencing styles.
A skilled presenter, with strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
Resolves conflicts by discussing individual issues with each person.
Checks with both sides of a discussion to ensure a common understanding.
Takes initiative to maintain contacts.
Segments the total market covered in own area into categories of customer or client.
Adopts a long-term perspective about the business (customer segments and the external environment). Develops hypotheses or alternative scenarios of how critical issues will play out beyond the year, and uses these to set challenging goals with a future payoff or outcomes.
Translates business goals into well-defined performance plans for his/her own organization and communicates link between current activities and goals.
Possess the ability to lead research and analysis efforts to support the development of strategy and pursuit of specific opportunities.
Utilizes top notch analytical and research skills; can effectively utilize data to support decision making and solve business issues.
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at email@example.com for more information about doing business with Prudential.