Legal - Hartford, CT | Dresher, PA | Minneapolis, MN | Roseland, NJ | Dubuque, IAVice President, Corporate Counsel
About the position
The Prudential Retirement Legal Team is part of the US Business Law Group of Prudential’s Law Department. We are seeking a highly talented, business savvy and experienced lawyer to join the legal team that supports the Retirement Business, including products offered through both the Full Service Solutions and Investment & Pension Solutions groups. This position can be located in Hartford, Connecticut or Roseland, New Jersey.
Prudential’s Retirement Business provides investment products and services to defined contribution, defined benefit, and non-qualified plans through two principal areas:
- The Full Service Solutions group which manufactures market value investment products and provides recordkeeping services for Defined Contribution and Defined Benefit Plans; and
- Investment & Pension Solutions group which provides US pension and international longevity risk transfer solutions to domestic and global Defined Benefit plans, and manufactures stable value and other innovative products for Defined Contribution and other plans and institutions.
Approximately four lawyers provide dedicated support to these business groups, which are also supported by other members of the Retirement Law team. Team members are responsible for the delivery of focused, technically sound and pragmatic legal support in connection with Prudential’s highly regulated DC and DB product business.
In addition, team members play an integral role in managing highly sophisticated outside counsel, as well as ensuring that the team interfaces effectively with other areas of Prudential’s law department to best leverage the high-value internal resources available.
Candidates must have a law degree, be admitted to the bar in at least one US state and eligible for NJ in-house licensing.
Practice skills necessary for success include:
- Advising on the creation and monitoring of stable value and market-valued investment products in a way that anticipates and mitigates legal and regulatory risks.
- Knowledge of insurance laws, securities law exemptions and the aspects of ERISA that apply to retirement plans and products. Broker-dealer/FINRA expertise is a plus.
- The candidate must have an appetite for learning new legal disciplines, and the legal and business talent to find practical, risk-adjusted solutions to a business facing an evolving and increasingly challenging regulatory environment.
- Quickly gaining working knowledge of ERISA and of insurance regulatory requirements is critical to job success. Equally critical is an ability to constructively engage with internal clients and control partners to advise on business practices that are likely to withstand regulatory and litigation challenges.
- An ability to communicate complex legal and business concepts, both in writing and orally, in a clear and thoughtful manner is essential.
- Candidates with demonstrated leadership potential are preferred.
As an adviser to the Full Service Solutions and Investment & Pension Solutions groups, the candidate can expect to quickly develop strong collaboration relationships with key Full Service, Investment & Pension Solutions and Retirement Business leaders.
As a member of Prudential Retirement Law, the candidate can expect to practice in an environment that provides significant intellectual challenge and meaningful development opportunities. We are committed to delivering excellence in an atmosphere of engagement and collegiality.
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about doing business with Prudential.