Legal - New York, NY Vice President, Corporate Counsel
About the position
The Jennison Law Department is looking for an experienced asset management attorney to join a small team of lawyers that supports Jennison's business.
Jennison, an SEC registered investment adviser and one of Prudential's US asset management businesses, provides active equity and fixed income investment management services to clients located in the US and outside the US. Jennison’s clients include large public and private institutional investors, high net worth individuals, and retail mutual funds. Jennison offers an array of traditional and nontraditional investment capabilities. Jennison's traditional investment capabilities are Large Cap Growth, Large Cap Value, Small/Mid Cap Core, Small Cap Core, Mid Cap Growth, Global Equity and Fixed Income. Jennison's nontraditional capabilities include strategies that are not defined by style or capitalization (Opportunistic Equity and Equity Income); alternative strategies (long/short equity); sector strategies (Health Sciences, Global Natural Resources, Utility, and Global Infrastructure); and custom strategies that are designed to meet client specified objectives.
Jennison's Law Department provides legal advice across a range of issues affecting Jennison's investment management business and works closely with investment professionals including, portfolio managers, traders, and analysts, and colleagues across Jennison's compliance, operations, marketing, relationship management and client service, and finance groups.
Representative projects and responsibilities:
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of client accounts, including drafting, reviewing and negotiating client account documentation (e.g., investment management contracts, organizational documentation, responses to client requests, amendments to investment management contracts)
- Research and provide legal and regulatory advice with respect to shareholder disclosure laws, portfolio management licensing laws and fund distribution laws in non-US jurisdictions;
- Provide legal and regulatory advice on new investments and trading, including private equity investments, PIPEs, and derivatives;
- Review and provide legal and regulatory advice on new regulatory developments, including working with colleagues across the Prudential Law Department in working groups and participating in industry groups;
- Provide legal and regulatory advice to Jennison with respect to the structuring, distribution and development of new products and investment vehicles in the US and outside the US;
- Provide legal and regulatory advice to Jennison in its role as a subadviser to mutual funds and review and draft disclosure relating to Jennison in mutual fund filings;
- Provide legal and regulatory advice with respect to various other types of clients and investment vehicles managed by Jennison, including but not limited to UCITS, registered and unregistered insurance separate accounts, and US and non-US pension funds;
- Review and negotiate vendor contracts
- Provide legal and regulatory advice to Compliance Department on compliance issues, regulatory developments and assist in development of procedures
- Review and provide legal and regulatory advice on marketing materials
- Provide legal and regulatory advice and draft disclosure for regulatory filings
- Provide legal and regulatory advice to Jennison in its role as an investment adviser to managed accounts for wrap fee programs
This position will have a focus on, but not necessarily exclusively, coordinating and providing advice with respect to supporting Jennison's domestic equity and fixed income activities in addition to negotiating investment management contracts and related documentation, and other projects as described above.
- JD and bar membership;
- 5+ years experience supporting an asset management firm;
- Exceptional understanding of US and international regulations including US Investment Advisers Act, US Investment Company Act, international investment adviser regulations, and international shareholder reporting regulations.
- Familiarity with investing in private placements, plan investment issues of ERISA plan investors, and Commodity Exchange Act, including derivatives clearing and trading issues, a plus;
- Proven ability to work independently and efficiently and as a team player in a demanding, fast-paced, fluid environment handling multiple tasks and projects concurrently, while maintaining highest standards and attention to detail.
- Demonstrate leadership skill and the ability to work with and maintain a positive working relationship with a diverse team of legal and other professionals;
- Confidence and interpersonal and networking skills necessary for effective interaction with business clients at all levels and external parties; Must be able to partner and maintain positive working relationship with legal department colleagues and senior management, investment management, risk, compliance, and other support areas with a proven ability to provide actionable, practical, sound legal advice;
- Outstanding communication, organizational, negotiation and writing skills.
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about doing business with Prudential.