About the position
The primary role of the Design Engineer Specialist is to develop and document architectural design solutions for complex Group Insurance IT projects. The Design Engineer specialist must take business requirements, knowledge of current and future state GI technology platform design and business capabilities, knowledge of enterprise architectural standards and working knowledge of contemporary architectural principles (SOA, Open, Plug and Play, etc) into account to design solutions that are compliant with Prudential’s architecture and can be implemented in a cost effective manner. The result of the design engineer’s analysis and architectural specifications must be documented into design documents that are reviewed and confirmed by the Managing Design Engineer and then consumed by development and IT operational teams for implementation. Analyzes business requirements and defines information systems technical solutions to address complex business needs (projects are technically difficult, requiring innovative and creative solutions and frequently involve multiple platforms, software, hardware, technologies and tools). As part of the design documents, creates functional and non-functional specifications based on business requirements, in-depth knowledge of business capabilities and technical expertise in systems solutions. Ensures the design specifications incorporate continuous delivery principles (ex: microservices) to support code development and deployment that meet DevOps standards.
- Works with cross-functional teams of business and technology stakeholders to fully comprehend documented business requirements and identifies application solutions to meet the business needs that are consistent with the defined architectural technology stack
- Has detailed knowledge of the technology stack that supports GI platforms and other platforms across the enterprise
- Deep knowledge of the architectural standards and principles as defined by the Architectural Review Board (ARB)
- Recommends product, process and/or service improvements within each design requiring a greater technical understanding of the tools available to our developers within the enterprise
- Collaborates with the Lead Design Engineer to solve unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the business requiring a solid, vetted technology design solution
- Researches and evaluates application solutions and recommends the most efficient and cost effective alternative
- Designs effective application solutions which can include new or modified technologies, reuse of existing services, integration with other Prudential applications or purchased solutions, or a combination of the available alternatives
- Strong competency in developing all SDLC design phase artifacts
- Ability to generate and present schematic diagrams to convey design concepts and details to multiple recipients including but not limited to business partners and technologist
- Determines the code development and deployment approach for the project
- Provides accurate and substantiated design effort estimates for assigned projects
- Responsible for consistent on-time delivery of quality deliverables in accordance with agreed upon plans
- Acts as expert technical resource to project team in all phases of the SDLC
- Provides linkage and continuity to business, development, operations and technical support areas in the testing and implementation of recommendations
- Supports QA team in root cause analysis of test defects and guides development team on determining defect solution
- Enforces systems design and architectural standards, establishes / maintains best practices and drives the principles throughout the systems delivery lifecycle
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience preferred
- 2+ years of hands on experience in the development and design of functional and non-functional technical specifications for complex systems
- Deep knowledge of contemporary architectural principles across all three architectural domains; Application, Data and Infrastructure
- Experience delivering business capabilities for Insurance or Group Insurance a plus
- Understanding of the enterprise architecture to ensure ongoing alignment, driving the technical roadmap for key applications and platforms
- Familiarity with continuous delivery, configuration management, continuous integration, and source control software processes and tools a requirement
- Prior experience with enterprise integration applications or techniques a plus
- Experience with analytical tools such as MS Office Suite, Visio, DB Artisan required
- Understanding of relational databases (RDB) and RDB design with the ability to create and read Entity Relationship Diagrams
- Knowledge of different SDLC Methodologies (Waterfall, Agile, etc)
- Solid written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills
- Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills
- Ability to translate complicated concepts into easily understood terms
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed
- Able to exercise independent judgment and take action on it
- Skilled at resolving conflict and negotiating effectively and tactfully
- Demonstrates a Strong Moral Compass
- Takes Intelligent Risks
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at email@example.com for more information about doing business with Prudential.